- Participants learn the basics of Arduino programming by creating multi-colored displays and sound that can be made to react to sound, light, touch or motion.
- Kits include programming cable to encourage continued programming at home and battery so that kids leave with working displays.
- Everything is supplied – laptop computers with software loaded, presentation to promote understanding and data projector – You provide tables and chairs – That’s it!
- Students have fun learning to code while learning good sportsmanship and teamwork
About the Circuit Playground:
- Circuit Playground is an all-in-one Arduino compatible development board by AdaFruit that includes inputs, outputs and serial communication
- Users learn to program Arduino hardware and peripherals without building circuits first
- It can be programmed to be used all by itself to display color patterns and sound, in response to a many different inputs or, it can be used to control other projects
- Includes capacitive touch inputs, (like ‘Makey-Makey)
- The board is round and has alligator-clip pads around it so you don’t have to solder or sew to make it work.
- You can power it from USB, a AAA battery pack, or with a Lipoly battery
- Participants program their code into the board then use it as a pendant or add it to other clothing or projects!
- It is not gender biased and appeals to everyone
Some of the inputs and outputs built in to Circuit Playground:
- 10 x mini NeoPixels, each one can display any color
- 1 x Motion sensor (LIS3DH triple-axis accelerometer with tap detection, free-fall detection)
- 1 x Temperature sensor (thermistor)
- 1 x Light sensor (phototransistor)
- 1 x Sound sensor (MEMS microphone)
- 1 x Mini speaker (magnetic buzzer)
- 2 x Push buttons, left and right
- 1 x Slide switch
- 8 x alligator-clip friendly input/output pins
- Includes I2C, UART, and 4 pins that can do analog inputs/PWM output
- All 8 pads can act as capacitive touch inputs
- Green “ON” LED so you know its powered
- Red “#13” LED for basic blinking
- Reset button
More specifics about the Circuit Playground:
- ATmega32u4 Processor, running at 3.3V and 8MHz
- MicroUSB port for programming and debugging with Arduino IDE
- USB port can act like serial port, keyboard, mouse, joystick or MIDI
- Built-in USB support – built in USB means you plug it in to program it and it just shows up
- Micro-B data/sync USB cable is included with the kits!